The walnut is one type of nuts that should make an appearance in your diet as it is known to contain plenty of important vitamins and minerals that can help with maintaining your overall health. It is also considered as a “brain food” and even has the ability to reduce your cholesterol levels when eaten at the right amount. For those who haven’t really considered walnuts as part of their diet, here are a few health benefits that you can get from it.
- It promotes better brain function. Like it was mentioned before, walnuts are considered as brain food because it contains antioxidants as well as neuro-protective compounds that not only protect the brain from damage but also enhance its abilities too. The combination of omega-3 fatty acids, melatonin, vitamin E, as well as antioxidants prove to be the key to improved brain function.
- It speeds up your metabolism. Another health benefit to munching on some walnuts is that it can actually speed up your metabolism. Aside from the essential fatty acids that are present in walnuts, you can also get manganese, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium, and selenium all of which are needed by the body to function properly including your metabolism.
- It makes your heart stronger. There are no other plants, or nuts for that matter, that can match the amount of antioxidant levels found in walnuts which makes this one of the best sources of protection against free radicals and other diseases that can affect your cardiovascular system. And since eating walnuts can lower your cholesterol levels, your risk from stroke or heart attack will be lessened considerably.
- It fights cancer. Another possible health benefit that you can get from walnuts is that it has the ability to combat cancer cells that are forming in your body. The antioxidants as well as phenolic compounds are the ones responsible for controlling the growth of cancer which is why it is always a good idea to snack on these nuts from time to time.
- It enhances the reproductive health in men. For men who are having problems with fertility, eating walnuts can help improve your sperm count significantly. Aside from increasing sperm count and motility, walnuts can also deal with any inflammation in the body so that you will be able to perform better in bed and protect you against other reproductive issues too.
- It promotes better bone health. Walnuts contain high amounts of essentail fatty acids that aid in improving your bone health. Consuming walnuts actually help your body absorb calcium while reducing the amount of calcium being flushed from your body.
- It increases your energy levels. Another reason why walnuts are a great addition to your diet is that they can actually increase your energy. Eating 30 grams of walnuts will deliver 200 calories that will slowly release energy to sustain you for hours.
These health benefits of walnuts are just the tip of the iceberg. There are other amazing benefits linked to this nut which is why it is worth snacking on today.